For Hurricane Preparedness Week, ServiceMaster DSI has put together a Hurricane Preparedness Checklist for Businesses.
Before a Hurricane
- Know your hurricane risk.
- Stay informed with your local media.
- Monitor weather reports and watch for incoming tropical storms
- Know the different hurricane categories and how much damage it could cause to your business. Read about hurricane categories here.
- Know your evacuation routes.
- Evaluate your contingency plan, make sure it is up-to-date, and practice it. (Contact your ServiceMaster DSI Account Manager at 844-413-3130, if you need a SRM Disaster Recovery plan).
- Develop a crisis communications plan for your employees, customers and vendors.
- Review and understand your company’s hurricane insurance coverage and deductibles.
- Back-up your company’s data and records
- Test your recovery process. Don’t just assume the backup is working.
- Identify a safe storage area within the facility where records can be relocated.
- Make sure other employees in your company know how to recover the back-up data.
- Mark and know where your shut-off valves are. Contact your ServiceMaster DSI Account Manager at 844-413-3130, if you need a SMDSI Water Shut-Off Valve Tag).
- Identify emergency power requirements and determine if generator is available.
- Determine personnel responsibility for maintaining the property and assign essential tasks like:
- Storing lightweight, loose items that may be blown around in the wind
- Checking security and flood lighting
- Turn on generator and any emergency power systems
- Shut-off valves, if needed.
- Verifying that communications equipment is functioning properly
- Build or restock an emergency supplies kit like:
- First-aid kit
- Battery operated radio and/or TV
- Whistle to signal for help
- Tools to turn off shut-off valves
- One flashlight per person working during the hurricane
- Extra batteries
- Food and water for staff assigned to maintain the facility during the hurricane
- Provide employees with hurricane preparedness information.
Reduce the Risk of Damage to Your Property
- Unplug small appliances and equipment. Turn off all electricity at the main circuit breaker including air conditioning units.
- Board up all windows and doors.
- Sandbag any entrances and the space around your building.
- Cut down any loose shrubbery that could hit your building during the hurricane
- Store files, furniture and equipment away from windows and doors.
Sometimes even if you have prepared, your business lies directly in the path of the storm and damage may be unavoidable, but it doesn’t have to be permanent. ServiceMaster DSI can help you quickly recover and quickly rebuild your commercial operations to get your business back on track. Give us a call at 844-413-3130 for any commercial restoration needs.